A historic district in the United States is a group of buildings, properties, or sites that have been designated by one of several entities on different levels as historically or architecturally significant. Buildings, structures, objects and sites within a historic district are normally divided into two categories, contributing and non-contributing. Districts greatly vary in size, some having hundreds of structures while others have just a few.
The U.S. federal government designates historic districts through the U.S. Department of Interior, under the auspices of the National Park Service. Federally designated historic districts are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Historic districts allows rural areas to preserve their characters through historic preservation programs. These include "Main Street" programs that can be used to redevelop rural downtowns. Using historic preservation programs as an economic development tool for local governments in rural areas has enabled some of those areas to take advantage of their history and develop a tourism market that in turn provides funds for maintaining an economic stability that these areas would not have seen otherwise.
The following is a partial list of the sites designated as Virginia Historic Landmarks, on the Virginia Landmarks Register:
The origin of the name "Oregon" for the area is uncertain but is known to have been in use at least as early as 1845. In 1974, Oregon was registered on the National Register of Historic Places, between Patterson Blvd. and Wayne Ave., north to Gates St. and south to U.S. Route 35, and Downtown Dayton (No. 75001506). City of Dayton Ordinance #24358-9.
The Historic England Archive contains photographic collections dating from the 1850s. These include country house albums by anonymous amateurs; famous photographers such as Roger Fenton and Bill Brandt; architectural photographers such as Bedford Lemere & Co; commercial photographers like Miller and Harris, John Gay, Helmut Gernsheim and Eric de Mare; and the Thames Valley views of Henry Taunt. The earliest image in the archive taken by a woman (1864) is held amongst those by the many males, and joined in the collection by works of Alice Marcon, Margaret Harker, Eileen 'Dusty' Deste, Margaret Tomlinson, Ethel Booty, Ursula Clark, Marjory L Wight, Katherine J Macfee, Mary Theodora Pollit, and Patricia Payne.
Numerous properties within the district are historical, though others are not. Structures identified as historical by the Jerome Historical Society Plaque Project have a mounted plaque, placed by the society. The historic properties include:
The Galena Historic District was listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on October 18, 1969. The National Register nomination cited the historic district's significance in multiple areas including, agriculture, mining, art and military as its reasons for its listing.
Nancy D. Mullan of Quogue was on the Town of Southampton Landmarks and Historic Districts Board and also a member of the Quogue Historic Preservation Society. She was instrumental in the effort to establish the Quogue Historic District – which was added to the N.Y. State Register in December 2015 and National Register on February 2, 2016. On Jessup Ave, Quogue Community Hall is part of the Quogue Historic District along with the Hampton Theatre company. St. Paul AME Zion is a Southampton town landmarked church on Montauk Highway and the fight to gain NRHP status for the hamlet had been underway as far back as 1992. Numerous attempts were rebuffed, reasons counter varied in considering historic district status, the primary question was whether those sectors being considered had any real historical significance. The Village of Quogue had set itself apart from the Hamptons summer vibe by having a quaint country village lifestyle lacking the moneyed elements common to towns further east in the Hamptons. Boarders occupied rooming houses 4 months out of the year beginning in the 1840s. Stately cottages lined Dune road. The connection to Sag Harbor whaling captains and the landmarked Life-Saving Station along with the Victorian era homes still standing eventually won out. Some 200+ Victorian era houses are contributing to the districts status.
Historic Brattonsville is the 775 acre portion of the Brattonsville Historic District that is owned by the York County Culture and Heritage Commission and Dr. Rufus Bratton, and operates as an open-air museum. Buildings include Hightower Hall, The Homestead and the McConnell House (moved to the site in 1983).
The Park Service, in the nominating petition, stated “The Quogue Historic District is locally significant under Criterion A in the areas of settlement and social history and recreation. The district is additionally significant under Criterion C for its remarkable collection of architecture that reflects Quogue's history as an early agricultural community that transformed into a predominantly seasonal community during the nineteenth century”. Many Victorian homes are still standing in the Quogue Historic District and more than 300 acres have been preserved in a wildlife refuge. Historic Victorian summer cottages alongside modern mansions line Dune Road and the many homes on village streets have the wrap around porches common to the time. The previously landmarked Life-Saving station and the Quogue Cemetery – (National Register Information System ID:13000914) are already separately listed on the NRHP.
The Virginia Kendall State Park Historic District consists of approximately 530 acres in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and reflects the naturalistic landscape style and rustic architecture associated with the Civilian Conservation Corps. Cleveland coal baron and industrialist Hayward Kendall acquired this property in the first part of the 20th century for use as a hunting retreat. Upon his death in 1927 the property transferred to his wife, Agnes, with the stipulation that it would eventually become a park named in honor of his mother, Virginia. Agnes Kendall was not interested in the property and turned it over to the state in 1929.
Historic sites and heritage sites are often maintained for members of the public to be able to visit. Visitors may come out of a sense of nostalgia for bygone eras, out of wishing to learn about their cultural heritage, or general interest in learning about the historical context of the site. Many sites offer guided tours for visitors, conducted by site staff who have been trained to offer an interpretation of life at the time the site represents. A site may also have a visitor center with more modern architecture and facilities, which serves as a gateway between the outside world and the historic site, and allows visitors to learn some of the historical aspects of the site without excessively exposing locations that may require delicate treatment.
Irvington is the largest locally protected historic district in Indianapolis. The district includes roughly 2,800 buildings and about 1,600 parcels of land. Seventy-eight percent of Irvington homes were built before 1960. Irvington began petitioning its residents in 2001 through the efforts of the Historic Irvington Community Council. The Irvington Historic District Neighborhood Plan was adopted by the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission on October 4, 2006.
In 1994, the City of Los Angeles adopted a historic preservation overlay zone around Pisgah Home. In 2000, the Pisgah Home received a preservation grant from the Getty Trust, and in December 2007, the Pisgah Home Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Immediately after its construction, sea captains, shipwrights and merchants began building attractive homes on Washington Street. The shipyards and wharves are now gone, but the houses remain and collectively provide a sense of the character of early 19th century Duxbury. The avenue that at first caused so much consternation is now one of Duxbury most treasured historic resources.
Between 1999 and 2001, historic preservation officials working with the city of Bloomington surveyed the entire city and identified over two thousand buildings that were deemed to be historic to one extent or another, most of which were concentrated in several historic districts. Composing one of these districts were sixty-one buildings on Vinegar Hill; deemed contributing properties, they help to make the district historic. These buildings were divided into three classifications: Outstanding, Notable, and Contributing. Properties rated as "Outstanding" were deemed to be historically significant enough to deserve consideration for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places by themselves; "Notable" properties were worthy of special consideration, although not likely to be worthy of individual National Register status; "Contributing" locations were seen as significant parts of their historic districts, but not of great significance by themselves. Eight of Vinegar Hill's contributing properties received an "Outstanding" rating, and thirteen were deemed "Notable;" only thirty-one were called "Contributing." The district includes a disproportionately large number of above-average properties: about 13% of the city's sites were named either "Notable" or "Outstanding," in contrast to 40% of those on Vinegar Hill. Particularly unusual is the concentration of eight "Outstanding" properties, which represented one-eighth of all such buildings citywide.
In 1984, Dayton View was registered on the National Register of Historic Places, Broadway, Harvard Blvd., Superior and Salem Aves. (No. 84003787). City of Dayton Ordinance #25552.
The district is interesting because of the large number of wood-framed outbuildings still remaining from the district's main period of significance (1855–1930). The district is also significant for the large number of mid-19th-century vernacular homes and commercial buildings which remain intact and retain a large amount of their architectural integrity. The buildings contribute to the understanding of the agricultural, social, and commercial history of late-19th-century and early-20th-century northern Illinois. Together the structures and their lots convey the feeling of a small and active pre-Great Depression farming community. The Scales Mound Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 5, 1990.
Washington Street is home to several historic business buildings including the old bank (now Jack and Jill's Antique Shop) and the Irving Theatre.
The Grandview Heights Historic District contains 268 historic buildings.